Aureate


When I was back in the university reading for my bachelors we learnt a lot about the impacts of psychological trauma. During a particular lecture on sexual abuse, we discussed sexual harassment taking place in public transport. 

I used to take the bus every day at that time, to get to work and the university. So I had a lot of stories I could share. The lecturer who conducted the class had an interesting theory to share. She said to create a golden cocoon for ourselves when negative things are happening around us. (Later I learnt that it is a form of relaxation/meditation practiced by many therapists and not what the lecturer was referring to) Of course, she meant an imaginary one. I was already doing this as I used my headset while I am travelling on the bus. Anyone who has ever commuted on a bus knows that even if you put yourself inside a thousand golden cocoons you are still not safe from the sexual predators in the bus. I wish I had the strength to make a comment on her idea, to disapprove of her and tell her that predators would still poke their fingers inside your golden cocoon if you are inside the bus.

Can one turn off from what is happening around him or her? I don’t think so. At least it is not true to me? Is it even normal to not be affected by what is happening around you? Are we better off if minded our own business and did not care about the other things? If I am not impacted by the things that are happening around me, I guess I will be like a zombie wandering here and there, being emotionally unavailable to those who are around me. I will only have my golden cocoon and there won’t be anyone to welcome me once I become a butterfly. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfidy (ද්‍රෝහිකම)