Aureate
When I was back at university reading for my bachelor's degree, we learnt a lot about the impacts of psychological trauma. During one particular lecture on sexual abuse, we discussed sexual harassment that takes place on public transport.
I used to take the bus every day at that time to get to work and university, so I had a lot of stories I could share. The lecturer who conducted the class had an interesting theory to share. She said we should create a golden cocoon for ourselves when negative things are happening around us. (Later, I learnt that this is a form of relaxation/meditation practised by many therapists and not what the lecturer was referring to.) Of course, she meant an imaginary one. I was already doing this, as I used my headset while travelling on the bus. Anyone who has ever commuted by bus knows that even if you put yourself inside a thousand golden cocoons, you are still not safe from the sexual predators on the bus. I wish I had had the courage to comment on her idea, to disagree with her, and to tell her that predators would still poke their fingers inside your golden cocoon if you were on the bus.
Can one turn off from what is happening around him or her? I don't think so. At least, it is not true for me. Is it even normal not to be affected by what is happening around you? Are we better off if we mind our own business and do not care about the other things? If I am not impacted by the things that are happening around me, I guess I will be like a zombie wandering here and there, emotionally unavailable to those around me. I will only have my golden cocoon, and there won't be anyone to welcome me once I become a butterfly.
Comments
Post a Comment